Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Craft: Caps to Cap-Haitien Project




Today marks the second time I've had an opportunity to make something that would help people in Haiti. The first was back in 2003 when I was contacted by a young volunteer named Sarah who was working in Haiti. The request was simple, would I be willing to create the packaging design for salt containers? "Like Morton Salt," I said. "Yes, iodized salt," Sarah said. What I found out was that iodized salt was extremely important because the average baby's diet in Haiti does not contain iodine and iodine is absolutely critical for brain development. Babies that grow up without iodine tend to have lower I.Q scores. "I'm in," I told her. One week later in January of 2004 violent protests broke out in Haiti and Sarah had to leave. The project was put on hold and unfortunately, I do not know if they were able to succeed in bringing iodized salt to Haiti.

Last week I was checking one of my favorite blogs and discovered a second opportunity to help people in Haiti. It's Soul Mama's, Mama to Mama, Caps to Cap-Haitien Project. Did you know that Haiti has the highest infant and maternal mortality rate in the western hemisphere? Often the pregnant women in Haiti do not have their basic dietary needs met. Premature babies born here have trouble regulating their body temperatures and they tend to be very cold. If that's not enough to make your eyes swell with tears I'm not sure what is. The Caps to Cap-Haitien Project involves taking old t-shirts or any cotton jersey items you already have and turning them into caps for newborn babies. The hats will become part of safe birthing kits provided by Konbit Sante. Get more information and the directions for making the caps (hand sewn is o.k. too) here. I had a pretty easy time making my caps from some of the clothes my daughter had outgrown. It also felt really good to finally do a little something for the Mamas of Haiti.

C.

No comments: