Thursday, December 11, 2008

Darnd-est Things

I think that all Mom's and Dad's who have a child in school must live in a kind of sub-clinical and constant fear of what may come out of the mouths of their Babes!
When my son started Kindergarten a few years ago, we actually received a packet of information which included a paragraph addressing this issue. Basically saying that they will "ignore" the things that the children say about families and parents as long as the parents apply the same courtesy regarding the teachers (serious abuse issues and the like not withstanding).

When I was many years younger I spent some time as a classroom helper - and still have strong memories of vivid, juicy one-liners, springing forth from the active minds of six year-olds with no censorship capabilities.
Add that the to the fact that I've also studied psychology along the way and am well acquainted with certain theories of "interpretation."
Compound, on top of all this, the fact that I have a child with an imagination so big that it does not adequately fit in to his ten year old brain - and you are left with one very nervous Mom!

I remember watching an old Doris Day Movie where her fictional younger brother had the whole small town in a tizzy after he went to school and told his teacher that his dad was having an affair. Said after seeing his Father "practicing" a kissing scene from an upcoming local theater production ... (not true)
I remember writing my own pulp fiction at the tender age of seven where I announced that our town was on the down-and-out because it was "full of rape and pillage" ... (again not true)
And I also remember a girl by the name of Madeline telling our whole class that she had missed school the day before because her Father had beaten her Mother in the Bathtub and broken her arm ... (plausible?)

So my Son came home last night with his "essay" that I had to "correct" for him before he could go back to school and type the final draft. It was called "Dog Gone Wild."
It begins where he is taking a trip with his Father and his friends to a Motorcycle Race in Indianapolis.
It goes on to describe the mis-deeds of his big, shaggy dog during the journey who ran rampant in the van and ate all their food and valuables.
It then proceeds to describe the "beating-up" of himself by his Father and friends for allowing the dog to be so naughty. And because the Dog loved my son so much he decided to take his canine revenge by eating the entire crowd and all the Motorcycle riders at the race track. Raging through the bleachers screaming "that'll teach 'em!".
And it ends with the classic paternal line of "that's the last time we are ever buying you a dog!"

Well. I wont dignify some of the embellishments by defining the fiction from the reality. I know which parts are true and which are ripped straight from the headlines ...

But,the question here is:
Should I be worried?

L.

No comments: